This site is in read only mode. Please continue to browse, but replying, likes, and other actions are disabled for now.

⚠️ We've moved!

Hi there!

To reduce project dependency on 3rd party paid services the StackStorm TSC has decided to move the Q/A from this forum to Github Discussions. This will make user experience better integrated with the native Github flow, as well as the questions closer to the community where they can provide answers.

Use 🔗 Github Discussions to ask your questions.

A few questions about using inquiries

Good day!

I’m playing around with inquiries to see how they work and I ran into a number of issues:

When my workflow creates an inquiry, it shows up with a hash in the inquiries page. How can I add a more human-friendly name instead? This is not clear to me from the documentation.

I’ve created a simple inquiry that asks for a boolean.

action: core.ask
input:
  schema:
    type: object
    properties:
      approved:
        type: boolean
        description: "Continue?"
        required: True

The UI gives me an unchecked boolean. When I click “respond”, I get an error that the schema is invalid because It’s an empty object. How can I provide a default object that has the boolean value explicitly specified?

In my first attempt to create an inquiry, I made a mistake in the way I describe the schema. When I click the inquiry on the inquiries page, I go to an empty page and get a javascript error. The only way for me to recover is manually navigate to the main URL of stackstorm (back button won’t help). Is this a known problem?

I hope that some of you can help me with these issues.

Thanks in advance!

Inquiries are an advanced StackStorm feature, so a lot of users may not have utilized them yet. We’re still shaking out the bugs, making it more easily used, and polishing up our documentation, so please bear with us (and also: please consider creating a PR in our documentation repository if you have any suggestions).

When my workflow creates an inquiry, it shows up with a hash in the inquiries page.

Can you open an issue in the main st2 repository for this? Improving the inquiries UI is definitely something that would be a welcome contribution, and would be a good introductory PR for some of our community members.

Getting back to your immediate issue, it sounds like your main problem is that you would simply like to specify a default value for your inquiry. You should be able to do this within the [JSONSchema] (which is actually represented in YAML) by using the default attribute like so:

action: core.ask
input:
  schema:
    type: object
    properties:
      approved:
        type: boolean
        description: "Continue?"
        required: true
        default: true  # <-- add this

Please try that out and report back.

Thanks very much. default did the trick.

I wasn’t sure about the state of inquiries but you make it clear that it’s still not fully developed. I’ll consider to contribute :slight_smile:

default: true did not work for me. It did allow me to respond, but it didn’t make an entry into the response.
I am going to start working on this web ui for my company. At a minimum we need to be able to filter them by the route.

The best alternative I could find was when using the boolean later use .get in yaql to default the response to false
<% ctx().mitigated.get("mitigate", false) %>

@guzzijones Post your rules here and I’ll see if I can help.