This site is in read only mode. Please continue to browse, but replying, likes, and other actions are disabled for now.

⚠️ We've moved!

Hi there!

To reduce project dependency on 3rd party paid services the StackStorm TSC has decided to move the Q/A from this forum to Github Discussions. This will make user experience better integrated with the native Github flow, as well as the questions closer to the community where they can provide answers.

Use 🔗 Github Discussions to ask your questions.

St2.chatops Ansible Role fatal error leading to broken install

Ansible Version: 2.9.2
CentOS Linux release 7.7.1908 (Core)
https://github.com/StackStorm/ansible-st2.git |

Greetings,

I have deployed StackStorm using your provided ansible playbook. However after deployment and configuring hubot to integrate with Slack I noticed the chatbot service wasnt online and I was unable to start it.

I ran your self-check script as per your troubleshooting guide and noticed that the API key was also not set “StackStorm client couldn’t connect to StackStorm.”. I solved this temporarily by manually “export ST2_API_KEY…”. However the check then fails on “Step 1 failed: Hubot is not running on this machine.”. This prompted me to rerun the ansible script and check for any failures. This is what I found.

TASK [StackStorm.st2chatops : Check if API key already exist in st2chatops.env] ******************************************************************
fatal: [localhost]: FAILED! => {“changed”: false, “cmd”: [“grep”, “-e”, “^export ST2_API_KEY=”\{ST2_API_KEY}\"", “/opt/stackstorm/chatops/st2chatops.env”], “delta”: “0:00:00.004789”, “end”: “2020-01-20 16:34:40.465620”, “msg”: “non-zero return code”, “rc”: 1, “start”: “2020-01-20 16:34:40.460831”, “stderr”: “”, “stderr_lines”: [], “stdout”: “”, “stdout_lines”: []}
…ignoring

I am wondering if this is something that has been seen before and if you could help in diagnose the problem. I believe it is failing this task and it is having a knock on effect skipping subsequent tasks.

Much Appreciated
Matthew

This could be a bug somewhere.
What Ansible variables did you set to install stackstorm?

How /opt/stackstorm/chatops/st2chatops.env looks like after Ansible run?
Did Ansible run succeeded at all?

Don’t forget to mask any secrets when posting logs.

I never set any ansible variables, is this required? The only configuration I did was to set the following in the playbook (stackstorm.yaml) so that it ran on localhost.

hosts: localhost
connection: local

The st2chatops.env file looks fine from the point of view that StackStorm API Key is there and uncommented.

The playbook did run and complete. If I was to rerun it I get the following.

PLAY RECAP ***************************************************************************************************************************************
localhost : ok=86 changed=0 unreachable=0 failed=0 skipped=69 rescued=0 ignored=1

Thanks for the heads up

In order to enable ChatOps you have to configure it.
See: What is ChatOps? — StackStorm 3.1.0 documentation from the general StackStorm documentation.

For Slack, you have to provide Hubot Slack Token via Ansible variables. See st2chatops.st2chatops_config GitHub - StackStorm/ansible-st2: Ansible Roles and Playbooks to deploy StackStorm
That will update st2chatops.env with Slack Token.

Once that’s done ChatOps service should work/start OK.

1 Like

Thanks for this @armab this has done the trick.
Must have made a type somewhere when I was manually configuring it before, just happy its working and automated :slight_smile: