This site is in read only mode. Please continue to browse, but replying, likes, and other actions are disabled for now.

⚠️ We've moved!

Hi there!

To reduce project dependency on 3rd party paid services the StackStorm TSC has decided to move the Q/A from this forum to Github Discussions. This will make user experience better integrated with the native Github flow, as well as the questions closer to the community where they can provide answers.

Use 🔗 Github Discussions to ask your questions.

Stackstorm containers contain python 2.7 instead of 3.6

Hello.
Trying to spin stackstorm on containers (with kubernetes or even directly on docker on a single VM)

Just paid attention that official containers of stackstorm are built with python 2.7:

root@c4002c85f06d:/opt# st2 --version
st2 3.1.0, on Python 2.7.12

So, very strange. Just wondering if is it ok , because if i install it in VM with Ubuntu 18.04 it installed with python 3.6.9.

Another thing that i see that these containers are built on Ubuntu:xenial image ( ubuntu 16.04), So, probably this is a reason for lower version of python ?

Just think to rebuild these container by myself but after a little updating Dockerfile of base stackstorm image so it will install on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic. The question is if it will be supprted and working :slight_smile:

StackStorm supports both Python 2 and Python 3.

At the moment only Ubuntu Bionic installation comes with python3. Every other installation like Ubuntu Trusty, Ubuntu Xenial, CentOS/RHEL 6 and 7 come with default python2 for StackStorm as a dependency.

Another OS that will ship with StackStorm based on py3 will be CentOS8/RHEL8.

1 Like

Hello

We started to implement the Stackstorm as VM on Ubuntu Bionic and python 3.6
We already have several custom packs tested in this environment.
Now we made decision to move to Stackstorm on containers (with or without Kubernetis)
My concerning is about compatibility of our custom packs with Stackstorm on containers because it will be running python 2.7 and we did the all tests in 3.6.
So instead of additional testing in python 2.7 i want to rebuild all containers but to change the base image to ubuntu:bionic instead of ubuntu:xenial,

The question is if i go to waste my time or it will work :slight_smile:

1 Like

As python 2 goes out of support and our company already relies mostly on python 3, we considered porting the docker image as well. We also like to know whether we can expect any hiccups when upgrading the base image.

Alternatively, what is the roadmap for stackstorm w.r.t. python 3?