This site is in read only mode. Please continue to browse, but replying, likes, and other actions are disabled for now.

⚠️ We've moved!

Hi there!

To reduce project dependency on 3rd party paid services the StackStorm TSC has decided to move the Q/A from this forum to Github Discussions. This will make user experience better integrated with the native Github flow, as well as the questions closer to the community where they can provide answers.

Use 🔗 Github Discussions to ask your questions.

Intermittent workflow failures. Internal server error, json error w/ msecnd


I have a workflow that is failing occasionally and I’m not getting any helpful error messages. The workflow essentially uses the core.http action to make an API call. I’ve checked log files and there’s nothing outside of this. I don’t know if this is being caused by an issue with Stackstorm or if the issue is coming from the external API service.

EDIT: Version 3.3.0

EDIT 2: Resolved. The issue is that the json payload included drive details, such as “C:\”. The double-backslash was causing the failures. I added a jinja2 filter to the workflow to replace the “\” string and all is well.

"errors": [
      "message": "Execution failed. See result for details.",
      "type": "error",
      "result": {
        "body": {
          "message": "",
          "code": "ISM_5000",
          "description": "Internal server error",
          "help": ""
        "status_code": 500,
        "parsed": true,
        "headers": {
          "Content-Length": "102",
          "X-XSS-Protection": "1; mode=block",
          "Content-Security-Policy": "script-src 'self' 'unsafe-inline' 'unsafe-eval' https://cdvfile/localhost/",
          "X-Powered-By": "Ivanti Service Manager" (this is an external SaaS),
          "Set-Cookie": "heatapiauth=; expires=Wed, 17 Mar 2021 18:11:03 GMT; path=/",
          "Expires": "-1",
          "Server": "",
          "Connection": "keep-alive",
          "Feature-Policy": "payment 'none'; microphone 'none'; geolocation 'none'; camera 'none'; sync-xhr 'self'",
          "X-UA-Compatible": "IE=9, IE=edge",
          "Pragma": "no-cache",
          "Cache-Control": "no-cache",
          "Date": "Thu, 18 Mar 2021 18:11:03 GMT",
          "Strict-Transport-Security": "max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains",
          "Referrer-Policy": "no-referrer",
          "Content-Type": "application/json",
          "WWW-Authenticate": "Bearer",
          "X-Frame-Options": "SAMEORIGIN"
      "task_id": "task1"

I think the service you are hitting is returning an HTTP 500 error - see result.status_code and result.body.description.

That’s my current theory as well. So at least if I’m wrong I’m in good company.