This site is in read only mode. Please continue to browse, but replying, likes, and other actions are disabled for now.

⚠️ We've moved!

Hi there!

To reduce project dependency on 3rd party paid services the StackStorm TSC has decided to move the Q/A from this forum to Github Discussions. This will make user experience better integrated with the native Github flow, as well as the questions closer to the community where they can provide answers.

Use 🔗 Github Discussions to ask your questions.

Integrating StackStorm with end hosts that don't have external monitoring

Hello,

I am new to StackStorm and would like to know how can we use Stackstorm to monitor end-hosts? There are no external monitoring solutions used in our system. For our use-case, we have numerous end-hosts and we would like to monitor them for CPU usage, disk consumption, network issues etc. Also, we would like to monitor when certain specific process actions have failed.

We do not want to use a pull based approach, as this can be a bit tedious and there are too many checks and too many end-hosts.

From what I understand, one push based solution is to use web-hooks. Here, the end systems must be configured to send curl requests to StackStorm. The registered web-hooks then performs the action based on the configured rule and request body data.

Please let me know if there are better alternatives?

Hi Sakshi,

You could use StackStorm Sensors to pull logs from each end-host, process them, and then emit triggers into ST2. However, that sounds exactly like the the pull-based model that you indicated you didn’t like.

Yes, Webhooks are another way to have a push-based model. StackStorm fully supports this method.

However, in either case, you are turning StackStorm into a monitoring system, and it may not be the best tool for that particular job, and you may soon run into limitations of StackStorm in that situation.

Instead, I would use a full monitoring service/tool like (for instance) Sensu to monitor your infrastructure, and then configure your Sensu master to push any monitoring events to a StackStorm webhook. That is more complicated than simply using StackStorm for the whole thing, but it’s using the right type of tools in the right places.