This site is in read only mode. Please continue to browse, but replying, likes, and other actions are disabled for now.

⚠️ We've moved!

Hi there!

To reduce project dependency on 3rd party paid services the StackStorm TSC has decided to move the Q/A from this forum to Github Discussions. This will make user experience better integrated with the native Github flow, as well as the questions closer to the community where they can provide answers.

Use 🔗 Github Discussions to ask your questions.

What's advantage(benefit) use (polling)sensor rather than (CronTimer)rule?

For example,
I want to know the new JIRA ticket.
I can write a pollingsensor with 5 minutes poll_interval, send a json format string trigger, and then filter by rules, at latest a workflow will handle the new ticket.
Why don’t I just write a CronTimer rule which execute a workflow can query and process every 5 minutes?

There’s been some discussion on this in the past on the forums. Both ways work.

One thing to consider is that if you have an interval timer running, and doing a query on the tickets then this could mean you have alot of workflows being executed doing not alot - and appearing in your execution list (on UI and CLI).

But if you had a polling sensor that only sent the trigger when a new ticket was found, then you’d only see executions for new tickets.